Fast, Aero, Light, Wide and a rider weight limit of 130kgs. THE wheelset for powerful riders.
THE race wheelset for riders up-to 130kgs. Using a 32 spoke rear wheel with a light but strong T10 heat treated 31mm deep/24mm wide rim and bladed aero spokes for high a strength and speed combination. Inspired by our Hunt OpenDev team member, and ex-pro Leicester Tigers rugby player, Will Johnson.
Don't miss out: VERY LIMITED STOCK AVAILABLE NOW FOR IMMEDIATE DISPATCH.
Our wheels are in high demand due to their unique superior specifications and excellent reviews. Please be aware that we are working hard to meet demand. Unfortunately sales often outstrip supply, so please order now to avoid disappointment.
Tubeless Tyre Fitting Option
The wheels are also designed to work excellently with clincher tyres.
Schwalbe One Pro Tubeless Road Tyres 23, 25 or 28mm are incredibly fast and light and can be fitted for £99. SRP per pair is £134, we fit them and include the sealant saving you the effort and £25.
The Hutchinson Sector 28 tyres are also worth considering as a great winter/durable option. The Sector 28s were designed for the cobblestones of Paris Roubaix and they also won BEST-IN-TEST in a Cycling Plus Magazine tyres review.
If you would like tyres fitting please add them to your basket and we then ensure they are fitted prior to dispatch. Please CLICK HERE to see our range of tyres.
'The Chase' is in The Details
So how have we made the Race Aero SuperDura so light, aero and fast as well as being ideal for power-house riders up to 130kgs?
Rims - The Race Aero SuperDura utilises our strongest rim material in the tried and tested profile from our Race Aero Wide wheels. We've pushed the boundaries on rim design here and added even more width (24mm external and 19 internal) and depth (31mm) for extra grip, comfort, low aero drag and low rolling resistance advantage. It's also important to note that widening the rim increases the air volume for any given tyre size thus creating better shock absorption which is especially useful for higher loading/more powerful riders. The Race Aero SuperDura uses a 24mm wide outer and 31mm deep rounded profile rim made from Niobium enriched aluminium alloy. Niobium aluminium alloy is a proprietary material developed by our rim supplier and uses an advanced T10 heat-treatment process. The process delivers outstanding weight, stiffness and durability meaning rims can be wider for 25 and 28mm tyres, deeper for better aero performance, light for excellent climbing and acceleration and capably handle the increased loads and torque that more powerful riders can dish out.
Spokes - 28 front wheel spoke count and 32 at the rear, vastly reduces the fatigue on each spoke, and each spoke hole at the hub and rim, as the rider load is spread over many more spokes. Spokes are a very important part of the equation and we have gone to town choosing the top-of-the-range Pillar Spoke Re-enforcement (PSR) XTRA models. These butted blade spokes are lighter and offer that extra aero advantage but also provide a greater degree of elasticity and thus maintain spoke tensions longer and are more fatigue resistant. PSR spokes feature the broader 2.2mm width at the spoke head providing more material in this high stress area. The Race Aero Super Dura wheels also feature the wider gauge PSR XTRA spoke to deal with the extra loading and torque plus it also means they don't fear potholes.
Nipples - Lightweight alloy nipples are the right decision to make for a high-performance wheelset where weight matters, plus we use longer 14mm nipples to provide great strength and a long thread connection with the spokes. The nipples also feature square bodies with a hex head (hex spoke key provided with the wheels) to allow ease of tensioning and maintenance.
Hubs - The hubs on the Race Aero SuperDura benefit from larger 12mm front and 15mm rear axles. This combined with them being machined from hard and strong 7075-T6 heat treated alloy means that they easily withstand the higher loads created by larger riders. Plus the cold forged then CNC machined hub shell means the metal grain structure is ideally aligned to handle the high spoke loads, the work hardening from the cold forging also adds extra strength.
Freehub mechanism specifically for difficult riding conditions and high forces featuring 3 multi-point pawls with 3 teeth each and a 48 tooth ratchet ring provide a super fast 7.5 degree engagement for quick acceleration and excellent resistance to wear under heavy loads or contamination.
9 point freehub engagement spreads the high loads in the freehub body that powerful riders can exert and thus reduces wear and damage. The new Hunt Dura freehub also has strong individual leaf pawl springs which are faster at rebounding and engage more quickly reducing the chances of slipping under high loads. The 3 individual springs also allow back-up redundancy compared to single spring systems. One thing to note is that individual leaf spring pawls are a bit louder than circular spring set-ups but we think that is the right decision to make for this type of wheelset. As you can probably tell durability is a key theme for Hunt wheels as time and money you spend fixing is time and money you can’t spend riding or upgrading your bikes as a result all our freehub bodies also have Steel Spline Insert re-enforcements to provide excellent durability against cassette sprocket damage often seen on standard alloy freehub bodies when high loading is applied through the gears, so go on stamp on the pedals!
Quick Releases - The little details matter, the Hunt Race Aero SuperDura quick-release skewers use brass for the cam which has self lubricating properties and we have even have upgraded to stainless steel springs so they don’t rust. The quick-releases are designed and tested to exceed 1000kg of tensile breaking force.
Wheel Build - Combining these components well is key and all Hunt wheels are hand-built and then tensioned by craftspeople who work in pairs to check and finish each other’s work. The build tensions are measured precisely and the radial front wheel handles steering and weight loading forces while the 3 cross rear creates a wheel that delivers drive torque effectively to the rim whilst also increasing the amount of hub-flange material supporting the head of each spoke which makes them even more resistant to long term high load fatigue.
Bearings are the heart of any wheel and investing in them makes sense for wheels that will experience varying weather and high rider forces. We sought out something extra and that is why the bearings are supplied by TPI. We invested extra to spec their high-grade precision sealed cartridge bearings which are trusted by many of the world's leading engineering, cycling and automotive companies. The TPI bearings that we specced in the Race Aero SuperDura wheels are upgraded to LU/LB seals which are low-friction sealed on the internal bearing face, to further reduce rolling resistance and increase your speed, whilst providing maximum double contact sealing on the exposed faces.
Extra seals and shielding built-into all four hub caps and the freehub body. As you can see from the image in the gallery each hub cap, and the freehub body, have o-ring seals (the freehub cap has a lip seal). It’s also important that the hub shell is designed to overlap the hub caps providing extra shielding from water ingress. Your Hunt Race Aero SuperDura wheels will provide many miles of fast hassle-free year round riding.
At Hunt we enjoy the puncture resistance and grip benefits of tubeless on our every-day rides so we wanted to allow our customers the same option, but of course all our tubeless-ready wheels are also designed to work perfectly with clincher tyres and inner tubes.
H-Lock tubeless-ready rim bed profile. H-Lock is our tubeless-ready rim bed profile with up-kicks to the shoulders of the tubeless steps which help to create a great rim-well seal for first installation and easy sealing of tubeless tyres. The H-Lock profile also locks the beads in place more securely once seated. This is especially important when running lower pressures or riding off-road.
The consequence of the fanatic attention to detail is a resulting 1595 gram wheelset weight. For such a durable wheelset acceleration and climbing are delivered with ease, just don't tell your ride mates your secret.
For You Tech Gurus
- Tubeless-ready – designed to work excellently with normal clincher tyres and tubes or tubeless tyres. Two layers of Hunt Shield tubeless rim tape fitted.
- H-lock bead-seat up-kicks for easy and secure tubeless installation
- Niobium – T10 heat-treated aluminium alloy.
- 24mm outer and 19mm inner width ideal for 23-45mm tyre widths
- 31mm deep rounded aero section
- Precision machined rim brake track
- Matt black anodized finish with laser etched graphics for low weight with excellent durability.
- Maximum tyre pressure for this rim is 110psi when used with an inner tube and 100psi when running the wheel set-up tubeless. Please do not exceed the maximum pressure stated on your tyre.
- Front: 28 spokes laced radially - Aero triple-butted profile
- Butted 2.0-2.2/0.95-2.0 then PSR section is 2.2.
- Rear: 32 spokes laced 3 cross.
- Asymmetric spoke gauges on rear wheel creates a more stable wheel build.
- Drive side - butted 2.0-2.5/1.05-2.0 then PSR section is 2.2.
- Non-drive side - butted 2.0-2.2/0.95-2.0 then PSR section is 2.2.
- J-Bend for ease of sourcing replacements and flexibility
- Cold drawn from high grade T302 (18/10) stainless steel wire by Sandvik Sweden
- Patented Pillar Spoke Re-enforcement, butted again just before the spoke head providing more durability in high stress area.
- Black stainless treatment
- Alloy square body for external adjustment and hex head for easy internal adjustment/tensioning. Hex/square spoke key included.
- 14mm length for a strong connection to the spoke.
- 14 gauge
- Black anodized finish
- Forged and CNC’d 6061-T6 heat treated aluminium alloy body
- 7075-T6 aluminium alloy axles, 12mm front, 15mm rear.
- Polished anodized black finish with laser graphics
- 7075-T6 heat-treated aluminium alloy freehub body
- Freehub mechanism; 3x3 pawls with super fast 7.5 degree engagement, 3 multi-point pawls with 3 teeth each, individual leaf-pawl springs are strong in poor winter conditions, 48 tooth ratchet ring. 9 point engagement shares high torque loads increasing wear life.
- 9/10/11 speed Shimano/SRAM compatible freehub with Steel Spline Insert freehub body re-enforcement provide excellent durability against cassette sprocket damage to the freehub often seen on standard alloy freehub bodies.
- or Campagnolo 9/10/11 speed, no Steel Spline Insert required as Campagnolo design has deeper grooves.
- High-grade by TPI.
- Sealed cartridge replaceable units
- Upgraded to LU/LB seals; low-friction sealed on the internal bearing face; double contact sealing on the exposed faces.
- Hunt Super-light Race Season design, only 33g front and 37g rear
- 7075-T6 heat-treated alloy lever, head and nut
- Brass cam plate actuation.
- 1000kgf tested high-strength cro-moly spindles
- Corrosion resistant stainless steel springs
- Polished anodized black finish with laser graphics
In the Box
- Front and rear wheels with 2 layers of Shield tubeless tape fitted
- Pair quick-releases
- Tubeless valves
- Cassette spacer for 8/9/10 speed
- Hunt spoke key for hex and square fitment
- Hunt aero spoke holder - anti-scuff coated steel
- Spare of each spoke plus nipples
- Quality control card signed by your wheel builder
Warranty, HUNT Rolling Road Tests & Weight Limits
A full 2 years from purchase date warranty is offered to the original purchaser only on all Hunt bike wheels against material or workmanship defects, please click here to read full details.
All HUNT wheels models have to pass our harsh cobbled-rolling-road tests for rider weight limits, please see here for more details. 130kgs is the upper recommended rider weight limit for these wheels. Please include the weight of any luggage in your total rider weight when choosing the correct wheels. If a rider is over 110Kgs then an experienced bike mechanic should check the wheel regularly and it is advisable to use minimum 28 mm tyres at max 100psi as this will reduce the fatigue on the wheelset. We are cyclists ourselves and do of course go above and beyond to offer excellent service if you ever do experience any issues. We carry full spares at very reasonable prices and offer complete support.
60 Day Ride & Return Period. We are certain you'll be impressed by the acceleration, low-weight, speed and durability of our wheels. We are cyclists and as such strive to offer class leading service and support. Buy with confidence, if for any reason you wish to return the wheels for a full refund of your order you can do so up to a full 60 days after you received them whether they have been ridden or not. Please note we cannot offer refunds on wheels that have suffered from crash damage but do offer a crash replacement discount.
For the Super Strong
Will has been a member of our Hunt OpenDev team since we launched it in March 2016. Will and a friend, also a pro-rugby player who weighed 125kg, both bought 4Season Wheels (suggested max rider weight 110kgs) from us in January 2016 as winter wheelsets. Then they both rode the Paris-Roubaix Sportive on them, that was a nervous day for us here at Hunt! The two of them successfully completed Roubaix on the 4Season Dura wheels but fancied something with a bit more Aero focus and some weight saving over the low profile (21mm)/round spoked/brass nippled 4Season Duras. So with Will's input we designed the new Race Aero SuperDura wheels. They feature a deep and wide rim combined with bladed aero spokes for extra wind-cheating advantage. The high spec components build into a very light sub 1600g wheelset and yet high spoke count and seriously strong rim material equal a wheelset that can truly handle the power of larger riders.
Bike Magazine and Website Experts' Views
We're honoured to have incredible REVIEWS from some of the most respected publications and websites:
- Rims | Niobium aluminium alloy-T10 Heat treated. 31mm deep. The broad 19mm internal and 24mm external rim width creates an excellent tyre profile for wide road tyres and cross tyres up to 45c. H-lock bead-seat for easy and secure tubeless installation.
- Tyres | Designed with a wide 19mm rim bed to create a wider tyre profile. Great with 700x23mm tyres but ideal for 25, 28 and cross tyres up to 45c. Tyre fitting optional extra.
- Hubs | 4Season Dura 6061-T6, large 12mm front and 15mm rear axles, large double-sealed main bearings, extra hub cap sealing, 7075-T6 axle.
- Freehub | Steel spline insert, 48 teeth with 3x3 multi-point pawls share high torque loads and feature strong individual leaf springs for each pawl.
- Spokes | High count 28F/32R Pillar PSRXTRA Aero J-Bend for high 130kgs rider weight limit.
- Nipples | 14mm alloy hex-head, square body.
- QR | Hunt Race Season super-light with heat-treated alloy/brass cam plate actuation and stainless steel springs.
- Weight | 1595g (rims, hubs spokes and nipples)
HUNT | The Chase Is On.
You ride every chance you get, you push on through wind and rain, your time and money must deliver results. We are honoured to create the best wheels for you.
- Tubeless-ready | Lower pressures and great puncture protection. Our wheels work excellently with standard clincher tyres & tubes too
- Designed with purpose | We don't spec down to a price point we create the best wheels for each type of riding
- Open the gap in the corners | Enhanced grip; wide rims for broad road contact with lower-rolling resistance
- String out the pack on the flat | Rounded profile aero rims, super smooth precision bearings.
- Break-away on the climbs | Impressively low weights
We have to reserve the right to alter specification when necessary but of course your can return any product within our 60 day satisfaction period even if you have used it as long as it's not been damaged due to an accident.