Dynamo freedom, now available in 650B! Ready for your bike-packing adventures, hassle-free commuting, and winter training. The SONdelux Dynamo powers your lights and charges your GPS/phone*. Our MASON x HUNT 25mm-wide 650B rim, 4Season Disc rear hub and 28-spoke build provide excellent durability with low weight.
Front £359 | Rear £179
Please don't miss out: PRE-ORDER NOW FOR DELIVERY APRIL WEEK 4.
Our wheels are in high demand due to their unique superior specifications and excellent reviews. Please be aware that we are working hard to meet demand. Unfortunately sales often outstrip supply, so please order now to avoid disappointment.
Reserve your wheels now. Use the drop-down menu above to choose the deposit option. We'll contact you when the wheels arrive for balance payment. Please enter your phone number in the checkout. Pre-ordered wheels will be held in stock for 7 days after the above delivery date, after which point, any orders not fully paid will be made available to other customers. Deposit is fully refundable if you change your mind prior to dispatch or up to 7 days after delivery, subject to product return.
Tubeless Tyre Fitting Option
The wheels are also designed to work excellently with clincher tyres.
Choose from the best tyres by Schwalbe, Hutchinson , WTB and more. Pre-fitted and save £s over the normal tyre price. Click to view the range. Add tubeless tyres to your order and we will fit them (including sealant) to your wheels prior to dispatch. You get all the puncture resistance and speed/grip enhancing benefits of tubeless but we put the effort in for you. We stock several tyres including Panaracer Gravel Kings & Comet HardPack, plus Schwalbe G-One 27.5s.
'The Chase' is in The Details
SONdelux | Highly efficient, faster and lower weight.
Drop-bar road and adventure bikes are designed for going fast, whereas many dynamo hubs were designed for town bikes. The rapid advancement and incredible efficiency of LED lighting compared to older halogen bulbs has meant that lights such as the Exposure Revo (available as a package with these wheels - please click here) would run at its whopping 800 lumen output at just 10mph. SON realised that by using a smaller/lighter generator, they could reduce drag by an impressive 20% and still achieve the 3 watt / 6 volt output (800 lumens on the Revo light) at just 11-12mph. Even at 10mph, you will get upwards of 500 lumens from the Exposure Revo light! The super-fast SONdelux is the result of this innovative thinking... 20% better rolling resistance and lower weight, only 395g (the SON28 weighs 430g).
5 Year Warranty (inc. bearings)
SON Pressure Compensation System
All dynamos heat slightly during operation and then cool, the cooling of air in the hub body of most dynamo hubs can cause lowering air pressure inside the hub. This lower air pressure can lead to suction of water through the bearing seals significantly reducing the life of hub bearings. However, SON dynamos feature their unique Pressure Compensation System which consists of an air flow port on the axle cap and inside the axle (as shown below) and an air reservoir tube.
The SON Pressure Compensation System allows air pressure to be equalised, thus extending bearing life to a huge 50,000-100,000 kms. The tube (shown below) is long enough that water doesn't reach the end, and when the dynamo heats up again air pressure increases and any air and water is forced back out of the axle end of the tube preventing damage.
The unique SON Pressure Compensation System allows us to offer a you huge 5 year warranty on the SON Dynamo hubs including bearing wear.
Why only suitable for 12mm and QR, not 15mm?
"We would like to offer a 15mm option on these Dynamo wheels. Dynamo wheels (whilst being able to adapt to QR with a sleeve) cannot be adapted between 12 and 15mm (unlike a normal hub) due to the hub caps needing to be fixed and cabled for the dynamo to operate, and 12mm forks will not accept a 15mm cap as they have a small ridge above the axle interface. The AdventureDynamo wheels can adapt to any other current axle standard on the market, you just need to let us know what are your requirements by filling in the simple form on the confirmation page after checkout. Of course we are looking at 15mm as an option in the future, but it would probably need to be 6-bolt to allow the larger ball bearings; ball bearing size is very small on 15mm dynamo axles if fitted inside a centre-lock disc mount diameter and around the larger dynamo axle thickness (needs space for wire to pass through the bearing inner diameter unlike a normal 15mm hub axle).
Apologies to anyone who was hoping for a 15mm MASON x HUNT Dynamo option, it was a difficult decision to make for our first dynamo option, and we of course want to serve as many riders as possible. I hope this explains it a bit more, we would love to offer an option for you soon. Obviously since drop bar disc brake bikes are now becoming more stable in their standards hopefully these things will be simpler in future, here's hoping as it would probably make all our lives easier as riders. Thanks again and enjoy your riding, Tom Marchment (Hunt Bike Wheels | TheRiderFirm)
Low Weight, High Convenience Lighting - 800 Lumen Exposure Revo
Exposure Lights tried, tested and much loved dynamo powered light. Providing up to 800 lumens of power that is only limited by your endurance, it is the new must have for adventure riding, touring and commuting. Plus it's manufactured just down the road from us here in Sussex, UK.
The Exposure Revo Dynamo light weighs a feathery 110g as it needs no battery, so as a package the light and hub weigh much the same as a normal hub and battery powered light, without that "oh, my lights run out of charge... I can't ride" nightmare.
Up to 1 hour of light even when your bike is stopped!
Stand Light Technology | When you stop, the Revo’s Stand Light provides ten minutes of light at 400 lumens running for up to an hour at a diminishing level. The retained energy allows you to quickly get up to full power when you start cycling again or get your tent up for a night in the wilderness.
Exposure Revo package with MASON x HUNT Dynamo wheelset only £635.20 saving £50 - Click to find out more.
*Charge your GPS and Phone from your Dynamo
Your MASON x HUNT dynamo wheels and SONdelux hub can provide you with complete freedom from external power sources. The knowledgeable crew over at CyclingAbout.com have a great article - click here on neat devices to charge all manner of USB compatible items. Please note normal, non-dynamo specific lights cannot be connected directly to a dynamo, only lights such as the Exposure Revo Dynamo light will work as the alternating current (AC) requires specialist circuitry, normal lights charge from direct current (DC). Normal lights may be chargeable from one of the options in the CyclingAbout article, please check compatibility with the light and charging unit manufacturer first.
High-performance technology that will deliver you to your destination quickly every time. A strong and lightweight 6061-T6 heat-treated rim features an asymmetric shape (which is inverted from front to rear) to provide balanced, higher spoke tensions, meaning your spokes stay tight for longer. The rim profile is true disc-specific which allows higher-strength to weight as no reinforcement is required for a braking surface, it also looks stunning. The rim dimensions are extra wide at 25mm (20mm internal) which creates a great tyre profile with wider 25-50mm tyres, giving excellent grip and lower rolling resistance.
Spokes were a very important part of the equation, and we have gone to town choosing a high spoke count (28 front and rear) for durability. The spokes are top-of-the-range Pillar Spoke Re-enforcement (PSR) triple-butted models, which go from a 2.0-1.6-2.0-2.2 at the bend. Butted spokes are lighter but also provide a greater degree of elasticity, and thus maintain spoke tensions longer and are more fatigue resistant. PSR spokes featured the 2.2mm width at the spoke head providing more material in this high stress area. J-bend made sense for four-season use, as replacements are easy to find, and we lace them 2-cross for strength and brake force handling. To accompany these high-end spokes we selected brass nipples for our Hunt 4Season wheels. Brass is strong and corrosion-resistant, plus it has self-lubricating properties. As well as the standard square body we chose nipples with a hex head so you can achieve precise tensioning. Combining these components well is key and so all Hunt wheels are hand-built and then tensioned by craftspeople who work in pairs to check and finish each other’s work.
Bearings are the heart of any wheel and investing in them makes huge sense so for the 4Season Disc hubs we went to Japanese bearing experts EZO and invested extra to spec their high-grade precision sealed cartridge bearings in our full range. Durability is a theme for Hunt wheels as time and money you spend fixing is time and money you can’t spend riding or upgrading your bikes. This is especially important for a 4Season bike you use regularly in harsh conditions. As a result all our Shimano freehub bodies have Steel Spline Insert reinforcements to provide excellent durability against cassette sprocket damage often seen on standard alloy freehub bodies.
Things are changing fast in the road and CX disc market so we have adaptability built-in. Hunt disc wheels are seriously future-proof. We can adapt your wheels to any current axle standard (except for 15mm on dynamo wheelsets) on the market, you just need to let us know what your requirements are by filling in the simple form on the confirmation page after checkout. Disc fitment is also a potential headache for riders. Our wheels are ready for Shimano/SRAM centre lock rotors, but adapters for running 6-bolt rotors are included in the box too.
At Hunt, we enjoy the puncture resistance and grip benefits of tubeless on our everyday rides, so we wanted to allow you the same option. Of course, all our tubeless-ready wheels are also designed to work perfectly with clincher tyres and inner tubes.
H-Lock tubeless-ready rim bed profile. H-Lock refers to our tubeless-ready rim bed profile. With up-kicks to the rim bed shoulders, tubeless installation is made easy, thanks to a great rim bed seal. The H-Lock profile also locks the beads in place more securely once seated. This is especially important when running lower pressures off road.
The consequence of the fanatic attention to detail is incredible durability and a resulting low 1821g wheelset weight.
For You Tech Gurus
- Tubeless-ready – designed to work excellently with normal clincher tyres and tubes or tubeless tyres. Tubeless-rim tape and valves included.
- H-lock bead-seat up-kicks for easy and secure tubeless installation
- 6061-T6 heat-treated aluminium alloy.
- Asymmetric to balance spoke tensions
- Disc-specific tubeless-ready profile
- 25mm outer and 20mm inner width ideal for 28-54mm tyre widths
- 24mm depth
- Matt black anodized finish with laser etched graphics for excellent durability
- Maximum tyre pressure for this rim is 120psi when used with an inner tube and 100psi when running the wheel set-up tubeless. Please do not exceed the maximum pressure stated on your tyre.
- J-bend cold drawn
- Made from high grade T302 (18/10) stainless steel wire by Sandvik Sweden
- Triple butted 2.0-1.6-2.0 (then 2.2 at the head for the patented Pillar Spoke Re-enforcement)
- 28 spokes laced 2-cross front and rear.
- Black stainless treatment
- Brass for anti-corrosion resistance
- Square body for external adjustment and hex head for easy internal adjustment/tensioning. Hex/square spoke key included.
- 12mm length
- 14 gauge
- Black finish
- Centre-lock disc mount. 6 bolt disc adaptors included
- Polished anodized black finish with laser graphics
Axle Size - Easily Adaptable & We fit them for you.
These wheels are available with all existing disc brake road bike axle adapter sizes (apart from 15mm front due to dynamo restrictions). All our axle adapters are easy to swap but we'll fit the adapters your bike needs, to save you the work. After your order checkout is completed, a simple form will show, as well as being sent to you in your confirmation email. The form allows you to select the axle size your bike needs, don't worry it also includes the option to tell us your bike model and we will find out and then fit the correct axles, plus we're happy to change them later at our cost if you don't quite get it right. Please note; this form is shown after you have completed your order. Please see below the full list of axle adapters available for these wheels:
- SONdelux 12mm
- 3 watt / 6 volt output at 18-19kmh
- Tested to German road traffic regulations (StVZO) standard K687 for output requirement.
- Efficiency: 65% at 15 km/h in 700c-wheel
- No-Load Power Input: 0,4 W at 15 km/h in 700c-wheel
- Magnets: neodym iron boron, 26 poles
- Connection: 4,8 mm flat spades, 2-pin, to connect without ground connection
(special design without connectors)
- Axle: hollow axle ø10 mm aluminium 7075 T6
- Axle Ends: stainless steel
- Bearings: deep groove ball bearing 629-2RSH (SKF)
- Hub Shell: aluminium 6082 T6
- Sealing: alloy dust shields, rubber lip seals and pressure compensation system
- Warranty: 5 years
- 100mm wide standard spacing.
- We fit the axles you need, just complete the simple form shown after checkout:
- Almost all existing road/CX disc front axle standards are available including:
- Quick Release (Quick release skewers included)
- 12mm Bolt Thru
- 15mm not compatible due to dynamo restrictions.
- Weight: 395g
All axle adapters are also available separately.
- We fit the axles you need, just complete the simple form shown after checkout.
- All existing road/CX disc rear axle standards are available including:
- Quick Release (Quick release skewers included)
- 12x142 Bolt Thru
- 12x135 Bolt Thru (uncommon)
- 10x135 Bolt Thru (uncommon)
All axle adapters are also available separately.
- 7075-T6 heat-treated aluminium alloy freehub body
- Steel Spline Insert Shimano freehub body reinforcement provides excellent durability against cassette sprocket damage to the freehub often seen on standard alloy freehub bodies.
- 4 pawl, 28 tooth engagement
- SRAM XD freehub. 9/10/11-speed Shimano/SRAM splined, and Campagnolo versions also available.
- By EZO Japan
- Sealed cartridge replaceable units
- Dual full-contact seals
In the Box
- Front and rear wheel with tubeless tape fitted
- The axle adapters needed for your bike, just fill in the simple form shown after order completion, the form is also included in your order confirmation email.
- Tubeless valves
- Cassette spacer for 8/9/10 speed (for Shimano/SRAM freehub orders)
- Pair 6-bolt disc adapters
- Pillar spoke key for hex and square fitment
- Spare of each spoke plus nipples
- Quality control card signed by your wheel builder
- Dynamo universal spade connectors and heat shrink
Warranty, HUNT Rolling Road Tests & Weight Limits
A full 2 years from purchase date warranty is offered to the original purchaser only on all Hunt bike wheels against material or workmanship defects, please click here to read full details. For the 650B AdventureDynamo Disc wheels, an extended 5 year warranty is also offered specifically for the dynamo hub.
All HUNT wheels models have to pass our harsh cobbled-rolling-road tests for rider weight limits, please see here for more details. 120kgs is the upper recommended rider weight limit for these wheels. Please include the weight of any luggage in your total rider weight when choosing the correct wheels. If a rider is over 100Kgs then an experienced bike mechanic should check the wheel regularly and it is advisable to use minimum 25mm tyres at max 100psi as this will reduce the fatigue on the wheelset. We are cyclists ourselves and do of course go above and beyond to offer excellent service if you ever do experience any issues. We carry full spares at very reasonable prices and offer complete support.
60 Day Ride & Return Period. We are certain you'll be impressed by the acceleration, low-weight, speed and durability of our wheels. We are cyclists and as such strive to offer class leading service and support. Buy with confidence, if for any reason you wish to return the wheels for a full refund of your order you can do so up to a full 60 days after you received them (whether they have been ridden or not). Please note, we cannot offer refunds on wheels that have suffered from crash damage, but do offer a crash replacement discount.
The Wheelset That Will Brighten Your Day and Night
Created for 'Josh' types (Ultra-Distance Heros) but also enjoyed by 'us' types (a bit less super-human, but still want convenience when commuting, training & road/off-road bike-packing)
A dynamo hub is a an ingenious idea, a small coil of copper wire that spins inside a group of magnets to produce electricity, effectively it is an electric motor in reverse. You can then connect up electric devices such as lights and never need to worry about having to abandon your ride due to lack of light. We've had a large number of requests for a dynamo wheelset and so our HUNT started for a light-weight durable and fast wheelset that provides you with freedom from constant charging of lights for your on and off-road bike-pack adventures, fast commuting and daily winter training. The MASON x HUNT 650B AdventureDynamo Disc wheelset is the result, featuring our proven wide tubeless asymmetric 650B AdventureSport rim, with our extra sealed and shielded 4Season Disc rear hub, and a seriously durable high 28 spoke count build (of Pillar's light and extremely strong triple-butted PSR spokes). Even with the extra 240g of the dynamo hub, this wheelset (at 1821g) is still lighter than many disc-brake wheels fitted to bikes as original equipment!
The Experts' View
SuperDura Dynamo Disc Wheels on Road.cc
- Rims | 6061-T6 Heat treated. Tubeless-ready. Disc-specific. Asymmetric for balanced spoke tensions and a highly durable wheel build. 24mm deep | 25mm wide (external) ETRTO 584x20. H-Lock bead-seat for easy and secure tubeless installation.
- Tyres | Extra-wide 20mm rim bed works with 28c tyres, but optimised for gravel and CX cyclo-cross tyres up to 54c and MTB 27.5"(650B) tyres up to 2.1".
- Hubs | Hunt 4Season Disc durable and adaptable axle hubs. Large double-sealed main bearings, 7075-T6 axle and freehub. Steel spline insert. SRAM XD Driver available. Centre-lock disc mount, 6 bolt disc adaptors included
- Dynamo Front Hub | SONdelux with adaptable axles. 3 watt / 6 volt output at 18-19kmh tested to German standard K687 for output requirement.
- Axles | Easily adaptable & we fit them for you. Fit all current axle sizes (except 15mm due to dynamo restrictions) and are easy to change; Front - QR, Bolt thru 12, Rear - QR, Bolt thru 12x142, 12x135, 10x135. Please click here for more info on how to select your axles.
- Spokes | 28F/28R PSR reinforced round triple butted J Bend
- Nipples | 12mm corrosion-resistant brass
- Included | Dynamo universal spade connectors and heat shrink, Tubeless tape & valves, spare spokes, spoke key, axle adaptors (please fill in the simple form after checkout to select your required size), pair of 6bolt disc adps.
- Weight | 1821g (rims, hubs spokes and nipples)
For the MASON x HUNT 650 AdventureDynamo Disc wheelset we collaborated with SON (Schmidt Original Nabendynamo), we had long been aware of just how highly regarded SON are for their durability and performance. Wilfred Schmidt is incredibly passionate about dynamos so our chats with him excited our inner geek. Wilfred and his team have been engineering their dynamo hubs in Germany since their first prototype 25 years ago.
SON dynamos are renowned for their market-leading efficiency. When your light is drawing power (light switched on) the efficiency of a SON hub is an impressive 65%, so at the German testing standard of 3 watts / 6 volt dynamo output (11-12 mph with the SONDelux) just 4.6 watts of your rolling power is used. Of course the light is always available, so no realising you forgot to charge and having to abandon your ride.
With the light off/unplugged (e.g. day light riding) the graph below shows that for the SONdelux there is less than half a watt extra rolling resistance compared to a high quality normal non-dynamo hub. For a bit of context; for a 1 hour commute fast training ride, as very amateur cyclists here at HUNT, we would expect to produce somewhere between 160-250 watts average depending on our weight and level of fitness.
The deep thought and detail that goes into every SONdynamo sits well with our philosophy to HUNT for improvements in even the smallest details. The connectors used by SON are a great example; they are universal spade connectors available from most electrical retailers/suppliers/hardware stores rather than a connector that is unique to the hub design. This means that if the connector is lost or damaged far from home finding parts will be a whole lot easier.
- These wheels are adaptable for 12mm and QR axles. They are not suitable for 15mm axles. Just fill in the simple form on the checkout confirmation page and we will supply the wheels with the required axle adapters.
- Dynamo specific AC power charging devices or lights (Exposure Revo) are required to work with dynamo hubs.
HUNT | The Chase Is On.
You ride every chance you get, you push on through wind and rain, your time and money must deliver results. We are honoured to create the best wheels for you.
- Tubeless-ready | Lower pressures and great puncture protection. Our wheels work excellently with standard clincher tyres & tubes too
- Designed with purpose | We don't spec down to a price point we create the best wheels for each type of riding
- Open the gap in the corners | Enhanced grip; wide rims for broad road contact with lower-rolling resistance
- String out the pack on the flat | Rounded profile aero rims, super smooth precision bearings by EZO Japan
- Break away on the climbs | Impressively low weights
We have to reserve the right to alter specification when necessary. Of course, you can return any product within our 60-Day Ride & Return period even if you have used it, so long as it's not been damaged due to an accident.